Chemotheraphy (Medical Oncology)
Which treatments are mainly applied in cancer?
Our main treatments in cancer are surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Generally, after the first diagnosis of cancer, it is necessary to determine the extent of the disease. Then, treatment planning is started and the appropriate treatment is selected. Chemotherapy is given to cure the disease completely, and sometimes it is used in advanced stage patients to reduce the effect and side effects of the disease and to relieve the patient.
What exactly is done in chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy is a treatment for destroying cancer tumors with intravenous drugs. We have about 30 drugs. These contribute to the treatment by killing and at least weakening tumors in target tissues. There is one given through a vein, one given to the cerebrospinal fluid, and one given into the peritoneum. It is given intravenously, which we use at a rate of 99 percent in practice.
What are the most prominent side effects of chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy affects most rapidly dividing cells in the body. The fastest dividing cells of the body are blood cells, hair follicle cells and cells in the gastrointestinal system. When we
add all three of these, the main side effects of chemotherapy emerge. Infection and anemia due to low blood cells. Hair loss. In the gastrointestinal system, effects such as nausea, vomiting and mouth sores occur.
Does a patient undergoing chemotherapy need to worry about “What if my hair doesn’t come back?”
No, absolutely not. At the end of the treatment, after a month or two, the straight hair comes back a little curlier, and even more abundant in some patients.
How to Reduce the Side Effects of Chemotherapy?
- Hands should be washed frequently with antibacterial soap.
- Those with contagious diseases should be avoided.
- Vegetables and fruits should not be consumed raw.
- Take a shower and clean the skin every day.
- House plants and animals should not be kept in the living environment.
- Daily activities should be restricted.
- Have a good and balanced diet.
- Aspirin should not be taken without consulting a doctor.
- Alcohol should not be consumed.
- Shaver should be used while shaving