What is cardiovascular surgery?
Cardiovascular surgery is a medical procedure to correct or repair structural defects resulting from disorders or diseases of the cardiovascular system. The cardiovascular system is part of three independent systems that work together: cardiovascular (heart); pulmonary (lungs) and the veins, arteries and capillaries that transport blood to and from the heart.
Typically, the initial diagnosis of a possible disease or disorder in the cardiovascular system comes from the patient’s primary healthcare provider who will refer the patient to a cardiologist.
A cardiologist diagnoses the heart problem and prescribes the appropriate lifestyle and diet changes, medicine and medical procedures. If the cardiologist sees that the patient needs cardiovascular surgery, he or she is referred to a cardiovascular surgeon.
A cardiovascular surgeon then evaluates if surgery is indeed the appropriate medical procedure to correct the problem. Following are some reasons to perform a cardiovascular surgery:
- Heart valve repair or replacement.
- Repair of the heart’s damaged or abnormal structure
- To replace a damaged heart with a healthy one.
- To place a pace maker or other medical devices
- Cardiovascular surgery is done for both adults and children patients.
Our Cardiovascular Surgery Department
Our department is one of the largest and most experienced centers for cardiovascular surgery in Turkey. Our highly experienced and qualified surgeons make diagnosis and offer treatment for every type of cardiac and vascular surgery including coronary artery disease, heart valve disease, aortic aneurysms, heart failure, peripheral arterial diseases, venous diseases and other less common conditions.
Cardiologists and cardiac surgeons work with a team of doctors (heart team) trained in many areas to establish the most proper treatment option based on the condition of patient. Our surgeons are on the leading edge of treating all types of cardiovascular conditions including rare and complex cases. Our staff works with the latest innovations in heart surgery such as minimally invasive heart surgery, endovascular aortic surgery and ventricular assist devices.
What We Treat?
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Heart valve surgery, including aorta and aortic valve surgery
- Mitral valve repair
- Surgery for infective endocarditis
- Tricuspid valve surgery
- Minimally invasive cardiac surgery
- Minimally invasive aortic valve surgery
- Minimally invasive ascending aortic aneurysm surgery
- Minimally invasive (including port-access) mitral valve surgery
- Surgery for aortic diseases
- Complicated aortic surgery
- Thoracoabdominal aortic surgery
- Endovascular aortic surgery
- Surgical treatment for cardiac arrythmias
- Surgical procedures to treat heart failure
- Heart transplantation
- Left ventricular assist devices
- Surgery for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Second or third heart surgeries
- Surgery for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH)
- Congenital heart surgery
- All types of peripheral arterial surgeries
- Bypass grafts (aorto-bifemoral and lower extremities)
- Upper extremity arterial diseases
- Diabetic foot
- Buerger diseases
- Endovascular treatment of arterial diseases
- Venous disorders
- Varicose veins
- Deep venous thromboembolism